We are South Dakota. The state’s flagship university. According to College Board, USD is the least expensive Flagship University in the USA. The big-time university with a small-college feel. We’re memorable mentors and lifelong friends. We’re world-class academic and out-of-class opportunities. We’re cutting-edge technology and long-standing tradition.
International students excel in the classroom while adding to our vibrant global community. You will benefit from all of the prestige, resources and research opportunities available at larger universities, but with the personal attention and support found at smaller schools. You will study with internationally renowned faculty in programs recognized world-wide for excellence and value. At USD, you will live and learn in a safe and secure environment in one of the nation’s best, small college towns.
We’re your college home.
- Vermillion, SD
- Safe and easily walkable campus and city
- Ranked One of America’s Best Colleges – US News & World Report
- Founded: 1862
- 97% of classes are taught by faculty, not graduate assistants
- NCAA Division I Athletics
- More than 170 student organizations
Be sure to visit the university website for the most up-to-date information about their campus.
Top Programs for International Students
- Art (Photography, Graphic Design,Printmaking, etc.)
- Biology & Medical Biology
- Business (Accounting, Finance, Operational Analytics, Innovation and Entrepreneurship, MBA, MPA, etc.)
- Communication Studies
- Computer Science
- Health Sciences
- Kinesiology & Sport Science
- Media & Journalism (Strategic Communications)
- Medical Laboratory Sciences
- Sport Marketing & Media
|Tuition and fees:||$9,815.60|
|Total Cost (including living expenses):||$19,487.10*|
|Scholarship range:||$500 – $7,000|
|Scholarship type:||merit and competitive, no need-based aid|
*Visit USD website for full details on Tuition and Fees
In Fall 2017, USD created the Global Community Scholarship, an award that does not require submission of SAT or ACT scores. Students are invited to apply after admission.
Varies by Program
Learn more >>
Want to see*…
- Grades: >2.6 – 4.0 Grade Point Average
- SAT or ACT: Optional for Admission. Required for some scholarships
- English Proficiency: TOEFL: 71 or IELTS: 5.5
- Different process for U.S. Citizens Abroad: Yes
*Check university website for more update info and details
Talk to an Admissions Officer
Director, International Office
Favorite Indian food: Pretty much anything with paneer
Assistant Director, Recruitment
Favorite thing about India: The bright, energizing colors, intricate temples and welcoming people.
Talk to a current International Student
Home: Kolkata, India
School Year: Freshman
Favorite thing about USD: The faculty at USD is impeccable and always willing to help. The people here are very friendly and have helped me find a home here. The small size of the university provides us with a lot more opportunities that I would have thought, and there are many resources on campus willing to guide students when needed.