The University of St. Thomas is Minnesota’s largest private university with approximately 10,000 students. St. Thomas is a Catholic university that welcomes people from all faiths and currently 63 countries. We are located in the 14th largest metropolitan area in the United States, Minneapolis and St. Paul, called the Twin Cities, which is one of the fastest growing tech communities in the country. We are minutes away from either downtown area and just 20 minutes from 17 different Fortune 500 companies.
The School of Engineering is the largest graduate school at St. Thomas and offers master’s degrees in engineering, software and data science, as well as undergraduate bachelor’s degree programs. The St. Thomas undergraduate engineering program has been ranked in the top 50 by U.S. News and World Report. Our graduate program in software engineering is one of the largest and longest running master’s degree programs in the United States. And our data science master’s degree program is one of the top in the nation.
- To provide timely continuing education opportunities in the field of software engineering, business information systems, and information technology to help students meet the dynamic organizational demands.
- To provide professional graduate education for career advancement or career change in software engineering.
- To provide professional graduate education in software development methodologies and technologies for users in education, government, marketing, business, law, medicine and manufacturing.
- To provide professional graduate education that couples theoretical knowledge with “real world” problem solving.
- To provide professional graduate education that leads the student and her/his organization into the use of current and future software technologies.
- To provide a learning environment where students become aware of the ethical, legal, moral and human issues of the Digital Age.
- To provide an environment that encourages lifelong learning.
We offer master’s degrees designed to meet the diverse needs of industry and the busy individuals we serve. The programs are founded on putting experienced faculty in the classroom to foster a rigorous and applied educational experience.
- Data Science
- Software Engineering
- Information Technology
- Software Management
- Business Analytics
- Electrical Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
Applications are accepted through our online application form along with the following:
- Online Application Form
- A bachelor’s degree in any discipline from a regionally-accredited educational institution in the U.S. (or international equivalent).
- An overall grade-point-average (GPA) of at least 2.7 out of 4.0. (Applicants with a GPA less than 2.7 will be considered for provisional admission with their professional experience factored into the decision.)
- Transcripts/Academic Records/Mark Sheets
- English Language proficiency exam scores (TOEFL or IETLS)
Contact the Associate Dean
Dr. Bhabani Misra
Associate Dean, School of Engineering
Dr. Bhabani Misra, Associate Dean at the University of St. Thomas School of Engineering, is responsible for about 950 post graduate students pursuing master’s degrees in software, data science, and engineering. He has been one of the key drivers of the Graduate Programs in Software Engineering for over 30 years.
Dr. Misra has been instrumental in the creation and transformation of innovative programs that have produced more than 4,000 master’s degree students in the fields of Software Engineering, Data Science, Information Technology and Software Management. Under his leadership, the Graduate Programs in Software Department remains one of the largest and longest running Software Engineering programs in the nation where more than 650 master’s-level students are currently enrolled.
In the fall of 2017, Dr. Misra earned the prestigious Tekne Lifetime Achievement Award from the Minnesota High Tech Association. This award is given to individuals who have made lasting contributions to technology innovations in Minnesota.
Dr. Misra holds a PhD in Computer Engineering and an MS degree in Computer Science both from North Dakota State University. His bachelor’s degree is in Electrical Engineering from the National Institute of Technology Rourkela, in India. Prior to working at St. Thomas, Dr. Misra worked at Larsen and Toubro Ltd. in India. He also worked as the Vice President of Information Technology at RBC Dain Rauscher in Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA.